You try to eat right for a healthy body, but what about your mind? Dr. Ray Sahelian, author of Mind Boosters: Natural Supplements That Enhance Your Mind, Memory and Mood, suggests these supplements for healthy brain function. Try one for two to four weeks and assess its effects.
|DVD on Health Aging|
|Top 10 Things to do to Lose Weight|
|Slow Your Aging|
|Spring back from Failure|
1. Fish oil. Eat fish at least two to three times a week. If you're not a fan of fish, take fish-oil capsules or a daily teaspoon (or capsules) of flaxseed oil.
2. Ginseng. Take 100 milligrams of ginseng extract a few times a week for improved energy, vitality, feelings of well-being and mental clarity.
3. Ginkgo biloba. Get gingko for the prevention of age-related cognitive decline and improved memory function and alertness. Because ginkgo has blood-thinning properties, Sahelian recommends no more than 60 milligrams of ginkgo biloba daily on a long-term basis.
4. CoQ10. Ten to 30 milligrams of the antioxidant CoQ10 taken at breakfast has been found to increase energy levels and improve mental clarity. Don't overdo it. High doses (over 100 mg.) can cause restlessness and insomnia.
5. Lipoic acid. For cognitive and antioxidant benefits take 5 to 25 milligrams of lipoic acid with breakfast.
6. Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5). Get 100 to 250 milligrams of B5 for improved mood, energy, alertness and concentration.
7. Choline. Feel focused with a daily dose of 250 milligrams of choline.
8. Acetyl-L-carnitine. Jumpstart your breakfast with 250 milligrams of this stuff for enhanced alertness, clarity and mood.
9. Trimethylglycine. Take 100 milligrams in the morning with or without food to improve mood and energy.