Life coaches and experts blog and share their wisdom on how to live a happy, fulfilled life. They write about self management and parenting advice, career and how to succeed articles as well as answer questions from you about how to best navigate your life.
What's Your Influence on The Fourth Circle of Influence - Our World?
In my book Unfear: Facing Change in an Era of Uncertainty, is a chapter called, "The Fourth Circle," where I discuss the circle of influence we, as individuals and corporate entities, have on the world around us. This September seems a particularly poignant time to reflect on the unity of purpose and consciousness we must develop as leaders, if we are to impact the creation of a better, more peaceful tomorrow.
When we are conscious of our interconnection and interdependence with the larger environment around us, we are able to focus on the ultimate goal of the individual, team and organization; creating a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world through Unfear. It is time for leaders to stand up and push for innovation, to champion positive possibilities and to remain flexible and adaptive during periods of change, with the welfare of all humanity in mind.
Take a moment to reflect upon what you are doing now and upon the impact you are having on the world around you. Are you creating pain for yourself and for others by holding onto attachments? Are attitudes of fear, anger, and aggression having a negative impact on your relationships? Are you contributing to the problems of the world through your personal and business practices?
Ask yourself . . .
- Am I making business decisions that support and grow the kind of world I want to live in?
- Am I acting with the utmost integrity in the pursuit of my work?
- Am I taking responsibility for my actions and business dealings?
- Am I continuing to develop myself and my skills?
- Am I safeguarding the interests of my community, co-workers and environment with as much vigor and zeal as I care for the interests of my shareholders and customers?
- Am I upholding my contract with humanity, as a member of the species, to care and guard the planet on which our sustenance depends?
- Am I striving to create sustainable economic, social and environmental prosperity worldwide?
If you can't answer yes to these questions then you are contributing to the escalating global uncertainty, and instability. If you want better for yourself, become the part of the solution to all of our problems by recognizing that what is best for the Whole is, always and ultimately, in your best interest.
Karlin Sloan is the founder and CEO of Karlin Sloan & Company, Ms. Sloan provides organization development consulting, training and executive coaching to clients the U.S., Europe, South America and Asia. She is the author of Smarter, Faster, Better; Strategies for Effective, Enduring, and Fulfilled Leadership (Jossey-Bass, 2006) and Unfear (January 2011).