Rena M. Reese
Life coaches and experts blog and share their wisdom on how to live a happy, fulfilled life. They write about self management and parenting advice, career and how to succeed articles as well as answer questions from you about how to best navigate your life.
10 Steps to Greater Consciousness
Human beings, by virtue of our biology, enjoy a state of wakefulness, or consciousness. In this state we are in control of our bodies, our choices and actions. It's our choice to stop at a red light, utter a kind word or arrive on time for work. We can decide whether we will turn left, marry or listen to classical music. We are awake and every single experience, both easy and challenging or pleasant and difficult is absorbed by our senses and provides feedback as to our physical experience.
Just as our physical consciousness creates our physical experience, our spiritual consciousness forms our spiritual experience. Fostering an acute awareness of our spiritual world promotes its growth and unlike its physical counterpart, spiritual consciousness is earned. To intentionally seek spiritual consciousness is to intentionally seek truth and goodness as well as our highest potential as human beings.
If you lost consciousness while at the wheel of your car, you would quickly awaken with questions. You would probably ask, "How did this happen?" and "How can I keep an episode like this from happening again?" Yet millions of people all over the planet are content to go weeks, years and even a lifetime spiritually unconscious. We are at the metaphorical wheel unaware that we are unconsciously driving through life.
Realizing that our unconscious living snuck up on us is what awakens us to the vigilance that a spiritually conscious life requires. Sound the alarm; it is time for the whole of humanity to wake up from its spiritual slumber to strive for both our personal awakenings and evolution of humanity's consciousness.
10 Steps to higher Consciousness:
1. Read spiritually enlightened texts- Have your read the Tao de Ching, The Bible, the Koran, the I Ching, or Kabbalah? Have you read any of the works of Plato or Socrates or "A Course in Miracles?" Enlightened texts, even if they differ from your current belief system are powerfully expansive to the spirit.
2. Understand what truly creates happiness- True happiness correlates directly to your level of consciousness, not to your level of financial abundance. This is why it is true that lottery winners after receiving their checks report drops in levels of happiness and spikes in addictive behaviors, divorces and depression. Happiness comes from spiritual growth and that which is non-material in nature. This is why the penniless Mother Theresa was able to be happy and why a conscious wealthy man can lose and regain his fortune many times without wavering in his joyfulness.
3. Watch enlightened television programming. TV offers a myriad of choices for viewing 24 hours a day. Your level of consciousness expands along with your knowledge of the world, the sciences, as well as the high vibrations that come from programs that bring laughter. Choosing to watch programs that depict violence, dysfunctional families and morally bankrupt characters for entertainment purposes deceases conscious-living.
4. Keep your head about you when you are with the herd- People do things in a herd that they would never do alone. Plenty of people who have partied with friends in Vegas or celebrated at Mardi Gras in New Orleans can attest to this. Emotions are contagious; be sure they are truly yours before you act on them.
5. Relinquish any sense of moral superiority- It's the ego that desires to rank ourselves above others. Countries do this, leaders do this, as well as various organizations and causes. When you strive to be identified as more righteous or superior, you are stepping away from greater consciousness and instead stepping toward ego-based living. There is little room for the ego ego for the highly conscious because they realize that there is no "me, and only "we".